“Hey, this is an exposed, live wire!”
“Can I take a picture of your electrical panel and send it to my friends?”
“Oh, I see why this light doesn’t work…it overheated at one point and started burning the ceiling. Also, there’s no light bulb in it. I’ll take it off and cap the wires.”
We had some friends visit from the US and one of the best gifts they gave us was using their knowledge of first world electrical standards to make our home a safer (see above) and more beautiful (see below) place to live.
We were able to get rid of some of the florescent light bulbs and objectively ugly light fixtures. Here’s a quick tour of our new lights (which cost a fraction of what they would have in the US!) along with a few photos of the fun electrical situations they encountered.